Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashing....it sucks but what did you learn?

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both of my on track pavement excursions were due to not picking up the throttle soon enough. The throttle is your friend! Few people actually crash while on throttle.

Now my one bad wreck on the rode was some idiot drunk girl in a car with her mother changing her mind and deciding to cross the road without looking in her mirror. I didn't learn much except a bike flipping off of a car and hitting you in the side really hurts.
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"

Bike
    CBR1100XX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolin7 View Post
    i hope i never have to post in this thread *knock on wood*

+1

Crashers.
    If you really love your motorcycle, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided.
    "Lookout for flying slip ons!"
    Josh

Trackday Junkie unpredictable419's Avatar
    Bike
    2015 Yamaha r6 & 2005 SVXR650
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only mistake so far is believing cage drivers know what they are doing and not wearing a helmet that one time.

the first time i decide not to wear a helmet. why? because i was only goin to the corner for cigs on my 250 knight hawk, what could happen. well if you dont believe the saying most crashes are under 30 and with in a mile of your home, i can prove it. After knowing my neighbor pulls into the oncoming lane to get his mail every afternoon on his way home from work, i thought i would just creep past him in my lane. he decided to suddenly not check his mail after being in the oncoming lane and whip across the road to go in his driveway without looking. I did the best i could, it seemed like i had time to plan on the best place to hit his car before it happened. i chose the rear quarter panel thinking i may be able to miss him. i didn't, i t-boned him bigger than sheet. i flew over the trunk, the bike damn near stayed put and just fell over. no damage but the bar ends some how, and scratches on the helmet that was bungeed on the back seat. i had no damage to my self except for scratches on the hands. I consider my self very lucky.

always dress for the crash not the ride is what we all need to live by.

Bike
    2007 Honda 600RR, Gone.R1.GSXR.CB1
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now if this thread dosent help someone nothing will. How many of these have been, "riding over my head","too hot into the turn","trying to keep up". I would bet that those are 90% of everyones 1st throw downs........but its still so damn hard to get these into a new riders head. I know i didnt listen until I was laying on my back.

Kick I was just damn happy to see you post up........ That mudda fn deer was something that no one can do anything about. Seeing something like that go down, really changes how you look at everything........

2007 Honda 600RR / Will / CEO

Bike
    2003 R1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something no one's really mentioned yet, maybe because we preach it so much...GET GEAR.

Blue jeans are not enough, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAVR6 View Post
    That is exactly WHY MEN SHOULD write advice columns. We fix the fixable problems. The other problems we just ignore.

Bike
    2014 BMW S1000rr HP4 Competition
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOD ADVICE EVERYONE. USE UR NATURAL TRACTION CONTROL
    jamesf30

Banned
    Bike
    03' Honda CBR954rr , 99' GSXR 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i learned it sucks...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first wreck....I was at a stop light and got rear ended.....what I learned is to watch your mirrors to make sure the car behind you stops BEFORE you put the bike in neutral. I didn't really have a chance on that wreck...it was 5AM and I had just stopped and looked into my mirrors and noticed the headlight was getting REALLY big.....then BANG......I go flying.

My second wreck I was on pea gravel.....didn't know it. I hit both brakes to slow for a truck waiting to turn left. As soon as I hit the brakes, I high sided. What I learned.....nothing really...just that some cops in Harrison County are idiots.....I got a speeding ticket that eventually got dropped from a cop that wasn't even there.......I WAS going the speed limit.

My third wreck....front end washed out on Corydon Pike......a result of target fixation of sand on the outside of the turn....what I learned....NO MATTER WHAT....look where you want to go. Basic stuff that for that split second, I didn't do it.....I paid for it with a broken collarbone, cracked rib, cracked elbow, and some road rash on my back and knee.

Every accident I was wearing gear and my helmets took ALOT of abuse.

Back Road Barbarian stillwell187's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st-if your riding a wheelie in a parking lot, make sure there is enough room to stop when you sit it down.

2nd-watch the back roads the day after a heavy rain.

3rd-cold tire...need i say more.

gear up...i was a squid until the second one then i got smart. the fall and road rash ain't that bad. it's the cleaning the of the wounds that really got me.
    i know it's not the law, but wear a helmet anyway

Bike
    2015 BMW R2100GSw Adv
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st and only wreck.

1) I learned to never ride angry.
    2) A driver applying a left turn signal doesn't mean they wont turn right.
    3) If you can't focus on what you're doing, turn around and go home (see # 1).
    -Clay-

15 BMW R1200GSw Adv