Bike
    KTM Super Duke R
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Hills ride report

"What I did on my summer vacation"

For two weeks I was in Rapid City to visit my son and we rode the Black Hills. He is stationed at Ellsworth and we got some street and dirt riding in.

The legendary Black Hills. Where buffalo roam, the roads swoops up and down and around the hills, and there's a Harley or motor home parked in every corner! The area is as beautiful as they say.

Lesson learned:

We went in early July for my grandson's birthday. Definitely tourist season, even though Sturgis isn't til next month. For sport riding, avoid the Harley rolling roadblocks by going earlier in the spring or later in the fall.

It's an 18-19 hour drive, and as you get further west and north, gas stations get scarce. If you pass up a chance to gas up, you very well could regret it.

And bring the dirt bike(s), if you have them! The trail system is impressive.

If you need service while you're up there, go see Rice's Rushmore Motorsports (KTM, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph):
    https://www.facebook.com/RushmoreMotorsports/
    https://ricehondasuzuki.com/
    They did me a solid by locating a KTM part for me and getting it overnight. I was back on the road the next day.
    Last edited by FIDO; 07-25-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: damn typo
    F I D O!

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent times it sounds like!!
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I pulled the motorcycles in the toy hauler to Glacier National Park last labor day. 4400 miles of driving, and gas stations get even more scarce through Wyoming and Montana. I carried an extra 20 gallons of gas in cans in the back of the truck "just in case", and ended up fueling the truck once. I skipped a gas station when I had half a tank, and didn't find one in the next 120 miles. Luckily I only went 20 miles in the gas cans, and I refueled and refilled gas cans. We averaged 7.4 MPG. Lots of fuel was burned on that trip.

We passed the Black Hills area on the way out, and although we didn't ride the motorcycles there, I wish we would have gotten them out for a spin. We did a quick 5 hour stop in a rest area and hit Mt. Rushmore at 6:30 AM, no crowds and got to witness the sunrise and hitting their faces. Quite nice. We drove the truck and trailer past Mt. Rushmore back towards the interstate, and enjoyed a few twisty roads that way which I was jealous we weren't riding.
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)