Once hung out with Munky The Midget's Avatar
    Bike
    XR50 "track bike"
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warm up and Cool down

Some one asked a question on the Versys forum and it's got a few good points. I thought it would be a good topic on here.

Warm up, The older carbed bikes you always had to start and let them warm up. This was never bad just gave you time to put your gear on and lock the garage then go. Even after taking off you had to ride conservative until every thing was warm and ready. That said with fuel injection bikes is there any real benefit to long time reliability following this same procedure. Some of the points made on the other forum are it allows the chain to stretch, oil and fluids to heat up. Bike and you to wake up and stretch.

So do you simple start and go or warm up and why?

Cool down, Same thought process you have been riding all out Moto GP race on a 98 degree day and come flying into the gas station. Do you let the bike idle then shut it down and get fuel or simply kill the ignition fuel up in a pit stop fashion and go flying back out on pit lane/ hwy what ever?

I know on a normal long ride my commute home usually is about 15-20 mins slab so I take it easy and just pull in the garage. Shut the bike off and if it is hot my fan stays on for a min or two. I am guessing this is for that. I assume it is for cooling the radiator and engine.

Is it a benefit for the air cooled only guys to ride slow and cool down vs liquid cool?

I'm not slow just conservative.

Bike
    2009 FZ1, Yamaha R6
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re way overthinking. KISS. Warm up 30 seconds ride. When done turn your bike off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Photobucket

Cant get enough of those crooked roads.

_______
    DOUG

Once hung out with Munky The Midget's Avatar
    Bike
    XR50 "track bike"
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not overthinking I just thought it was a good topic. I get on my bike and take off (except for the 250 it has to warm up) then like I said come home hop off and get into the ac as quick as possible.

I'm not slow just conservative.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R1
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let my bike warm up to about 150 degrees, then shut it off until ready to leave if I am not geared up by then. Shut down.....I shut her down and get off that heat missile as fast as possible.
    2009 Yellow/Blue Yamaha R1

People always say to man up and grow some balls, balls are vulnerable.....man up and grow a vagina, those things can take a pounding!!

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's actually quite damaging for a gasoline engine to idle too long. Modern fuel injected bikes, like automobiles, can be started and driven almost immediately. The only exceptions are the very cold weather then you might give it a minute until the windows clear off. Which is a good reason not to live where it's cold.
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no real reason for a warm up for street usage. For trackday or race usage where I am going to be going out and running it hard from the very start I will start it up 15 minutes or so early and idle up to 170/180 then shut it down and let it heat soak to warm everything up. If my first session is coaching I group for example though where we will be doing a couple of easy laps I don't do that as there is no reason.

Cool down I do on the track by making my last lap "easier" at a trackday, races already have a cool down lap to ride around and thumbs up the corner workers for their hard work and that's adequate there as well.
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    2003 titanium and black CBR954RR
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i start n let it run my 954 at least until it idles down. on warm days sometimes it idles down directly. but i start the bike, put on my jacket, helmet n gloves n seat up.

ill say i live on a paved road that was chip n sealed in a total bullshit way a couple years ago. they used round pebble. so its still covered in loose marbles the mile out to 66. i take it pretty easy until i get there. no real hard acceleration or high revs.

i suppose its the same difference rolling in, although ive never given any special consideration to shutting the bike off. really anytime i ride it hard im not immediately pulling in anywhere to shut it off.

i suppose its a fuel injection thing, ive had plenty of carbed units that most certainly required warm up. paticularly depending on ambient temps.

no mention in my mc's owner manual, but my last new car, a jetta, specifically said in the owners manual the car did not need to sit and warm up. to drive it with some reservation and let it warm under driving conditions.
    "love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle." -Hunter S. Thompson