Thread: Fork seals

Bike
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fork seals

I have a 2008 CBR1000RR and I believe my front fork seals are leaking. At first, I thought it was brake fluid leak but the fluid level hasn't changed even though and I have inspected all the hoses and calipers. I have a noticeable amount of fluid on the ground and it is oily. I have never changed fork seals and oil before but I do claim to be mechanically inclined and usually work on my own stuff. Has anyone changed their own seals and oil before? Any recommendations or suggestions for a first-timer?

If all else fails, I don't mind taking it to a shop and have done.
    Stay thirsty my friends

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have the right tools you can end up damaging the new seals. At a minimum you would need a driver to seat the bushings and seals on reassembly. Have they ever been serviced? If not you would probably be surprised at the amount of contamination from wear in the fluid. Additionally you would want to have a service manual on hand as there is a procedure to index the fork caps on assembly.

If you aren't confident I would suggest taking them to Chad Wells at Commonwealth Motorcycles. He is very good on suspension, Ohlins trained and will do the job properly.
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave608 View Post
    If you don't have the right tools you can end up damaging the new seals. At a minimum you would need a driver to seat the bushings and seals on reassembly. Have they ever been serviced? If not you would probably be surprised at the amount of contamination from wear in the fluid. Additionally you would want to have a service manual on hand as there is a procedure to index the fork caps on assembly.

If you aren't confident I would suggest taking them to Chad Wells at Commonwealth Motorcycles. He is very good on suspension, Ohlins trained and will do the job properly.
    I got the bike last year so I am unsure of its history. I am thinking that the service route is better for me since they may identify any other needed items.

I am thinking it may be the right side caliber. I have a lot of gunk on that rotor. See pic. I wiped that from just the right side rotor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Stay thirsty my friends