Thread: Brake maintenance

Bike
    2009 FZ1, Yamaha R6
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake maintenance

I stole this idea from a good friend on Facebook. Jeff Sizemore.

Just about everybody I know is doing their racebike maintenance right now getting ready for the season. Most people don't need to hear this but I just wanted to share this especially for the new guys and gals that are just getting started.
    In a nutshell, most people I run into don't change their brake fluid often enough! Some people I have met have never changed it at all! They think as long as the reservoir is full they are good! Lol
    I know 4 people in the last 20 years that COMPLETELY LOST THEIR BRAKES AT HIGH SPEED! They grabbed the lever and pulled it all the way to the handle bars and NOTHING THERE! Two of them laid it down and slid into the gravel trap unharmed, one of them was hopitalized and the fourth broke his back! 3 of the 4 I know personally. They said when they got back to the pit area and their brakes cooled off their brakes started working again. Bottom line is they had moisture in their brake fluid.had they changed it more often, these 4 accidents would never have happened!
    (Brake fluid is hydrofilic, that is it has a tendency to absorb moisture. When your brakes heat up above the boiling point for water, the moisture in your fluid goes from a liquid state to a gas state. It forms bubbles in your fluid and when that happens your brakes won't work. When they cool off below the boiling point for water the gas bubbles go back to a liquid state and they start working again.)
    If you have never changed your own fluid before it's not hard to do but it must be done properly! Brian van with sportbike track gear has some really good videos on YouTube regarding brake maintenance.
    I realize I'm preaching to the choir when it comes to most of you. If even one person reads this and it prevents an accident I decided it's well worth the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Photobucket

Cant get enough of those crooked roads.

_______
    DOUG

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth a shot to help people that don't know those things. And yes sportbike trackgear is a great place and owned by a biker through and through.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
    2003 titanium and black CBR954RR
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those mighty vacs, or even a harbor freight unit like i have make this a ten minute job.

if its been several years its a good idea to do a full caliper refurb. ive seen some nasty stuff come out when you split the calipers. stuff even regular fluid changes wont get out.

i plan to do the 954's this season. the kit that includes bleeder valves, stainless bolts and guide pins, crush washers for the banjos' and all the piston seals runs about 55$ for my bike. ill be interested to see what kind of sludge treasure they hold inside.

ive got a couple pistons that arent quite moving as they should and the bolt hardware is taking on some rust. ill be happy to have them looking and performing at their full potential.

nothing more important on any bike than the brakes!!!
    "love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle." -Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2007 zx6r, 2006 gsxr 600, 2006 gsxr 750, 2006 FZ1
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to do this for sure. I don't think I've done it in years.
    The cyclist formerly known as Kleaving.....

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, always a great idea to keep brakes maintained. Just a footnote, be aware of the type of fluid you run and it's maintenance requirements. Some of the good brake fluids are more corrosive than standard fluids (Castrol RBF-600 for example) and should be serviced a minimum of once a year if not more often since it is designed for racing/trackday usage. Also a good idea to clean the calipers including the pistons when changing pads.

I'm very much an overkill person since my bike sees only the track, I flush brake fluid 4 to 6 times a year (yes, you read that right) and will pop the brake pads out and clean the calipers/pistons every weekend or two.
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave608 View Post
    Yep, always a great idea to keep brakes maintained. Just a footnote, be aware of the type of fluid you run and it's maintenance requirements. Some of the good brake fluids are more corrosive than standard fluids (Castrol RBF-600 for example) and should be serviced a minimum of once a year if not more often since it is designed for racing/trackday usage. Also a good idea to clean the calipers including the pistons when changing pads.

I'm very much an overkill person since my bike sees only the track, I flush brake fluid 4 to 6 times a year (yes, you read that right) and will pop the brake pads out and clean the calipers/pistons every weekend or two.
    ^^^^^
    This.

I change mine every spring, and usually mid to late summer.
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)