Once hung out with Munky The Midget's Avatar
    Bike
    XR50 "track bike"
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caution- Ram Mount Failure

I have been using my Ram mount for about a year with no problems what so ever. I have never used the rubber band strap that came with it. the thing. Recommended it to every one. I always had it mounted to the handle bar clamp as shown.

My only complaint was having to look down when changing music so I decided to move the mount. I placed it just above my wind screen and behind it so no bugs or rocks would hit the phone.

I was about 100 miles into my trip and had just looked at my phone when I got fuel. Everything was fine. We were on a long high way when I looked down and my phone was gone. I started to freak out but then happen to see it had fallen between the triple clamp. If it had wedged and I tried cornering could have turned out real bad.

I still do not what made it pop out. After some research on the web people have complained about wind pushing it. Mine was mounted behind the wind screen. So take caution where you mount it and I recommend using the strap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	24935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0610.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	24934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	24933  

I'm not slow just conservative.

Bike
    XR50 "track bike"
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to edit my mistake ( came with it. the thing. ) and get an error message of must be 3 characters. If a mod can fix this please do so.

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My case on my phone squeezed out my phone even with 2 corners diagonally rubber band mounted on. I always use the 4 straps now and the phone case matters for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
    2006 FZ1, 2012 YAMAHA R1, 2016 YAMAHA R1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mines been great for a couple years now... no problems, tucked behind windscreen its seen some pretty high speed runs!

CC Powersports Louisville Sponsor
    Bike
    2011 KAW ZX-10R
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the direction of the air flow. I do not think they are designed to hold with a ton of air pushing from the back.

Now that being said I want to get on my soap box. This site was always famous for AGATT. This thread seams entirely contradictory to motorcycle safety.
    I understand having a mount to keep your phone out of your pocket. If you chose to use it to play music, then you should only be messing with it when you are stopped, correct? If you are changing playlist or whatever you are doing with it at a stoplight, why can't you look down? The only reason I can see for wanting to have it up is so you can change music while riding?
    This brings me to my next point. If you think looking down to change a song while riding is not distracted driving you are fooling yourselves. Riding a motorcycle deserves our non distracted attention at all times.
    I've seen many times on this sight people talk about how they would never drink beer at a bike night and ride. Yet the proven statistics are out there that distracted driving is way worse than drunk driving.
    I am not meaning to be critical of anyone on this sight. So please do not take anything that I have said personally. My goal is only to change awareness. Think about how many years it took the perception of drinking and driving to change. Distracted driving and riding is killing people every day.
    We are all plugged into our phones 24/7. In many cases our jobs depend on them. It has become increasingly difficult to get away. Why not use riding a motorcycle as "free time"? Unplug and enjoy the ride.

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragginleprechaun View Post
    I think it depends on the direction of the air flow. I do not think they are designed to hold with a ton of air pushing from the back.

Now that being said I want to get on my soap box. This site was always famous for AGATT. This thread seams entirely contradictory to motorcycle safety.
    I understand having a mount to keep your phone out of your pocket. If you chose to use it to play music, then you should only be messing with it when you are stopped, correct? If you are changing playlist or whatever you are doing with it at a stoplight, why can't you look down? The only reason I can see for wanting to have it up is so you can change music while riding?
    This brings me to my next point. If you think looking down to change a song while riding is not distracted driving you are fooling yourselves. Riding a motorcycle deserves our non distracted attention at all times.
    I've seen many times on this sight people talk about how they would never drink beer at a bike night and ride. Yet the proven statistics are out there that distracted driving is way worse than drunk driving.
    I am not meaning to be critical of anyone on this sight. So please do not take anything that I have said personally. My goal is only to change awareness. Think about how many years it took the perception of drinking and driving to change. Distracted driving and riding is killing people every day.
    We are all plugged into our phones 24/7. In many cases our jobs depend on them. It has become increasingly difficult to get away. Why not use riding a motorcycle as "free time"? Unplug and enjoy the ride.
    I didn't take it personal because it has nothing do with me. I don't mount it to use while riding, it is mounted on the supermoto to keep off my person and that alone. I switch music via the sena on my helmet with a quick push&twist. It is touched only while the bike is off (when putting on bike and when taking off after ride.

CC Powersports Louisville Sponsor
    Bike
    2011 KAW ZX-10R
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackalo626 View Post
    I didn't take it personal because it has nothing do with me. I don't mount it to use while riding, it is mounted on the supermoto to keep off my person and that alone. I switch music via the sena on my helmet with a quick push&twist. It is touched only while the bike is off (when putting on bike and when taking off after ride.

Sounds like you have it figured out! I was behind a guy on a scooter down in E-town this weekend. While he was texting and riding he probably crossed the double yellow 3 times. I just shook my head in disbelief.

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragginleprechaun View Post
    Sounds like you have it figured out! I was behind a guy on a scooter down in E-town this weekend. While he was texting and riding he probably crossed the double yellow 3 times. I just shook my head in disbelief.
    I have such a good life that honestly, texting and driving is prob in the top 3 things that make me want to go berserk on people. Riding a bike is like playing frogger really and I need no extra distractions.

Bike
    XR50 "track bike"
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine while at stop lights and not while driving. I also drink beer and ride in shorts and flip flops how ever.

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Midget View Post
    I use mine while at stop lights and not while driving. I also drink beer and ride in shorts and flip flops how ever.
    But if its hot and you are thirsty, I don't see the problem.