Thread: Q3 Plus Review

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q3 Plus Review

Modern sport touring tires pretty well provide all the performance anyone would need for sane street riding. Loads of cornering grip and good wet performance along with decent wear rates. However when Dunlop claimed they had improved on the Q3 with the Q3 Plus I was curious to try a set on my ZX6R 636. I have had them on the bike for a few weeks and they seemed to be pretty much the same excellent sport rubber as the Q3. It was not until yesterday that I really pushed the pace with these tires and noticed the difference. Compared to the Q3, the Q3 Plus feels like it has a bigger contact patch and when pushed hard in cornering feels supremely planted for a street tire. These things inspire huge confidence and allowed me to feel more relaxed when deep into the corner and focus more on technique and line selection. But I did not feel the difference until I was a good bit beyond what I would considered just "spirited" riding. It's amazing how good sport rubber is these days.

In my humble opinion Dunlop has definitely improved on the performance of the Q3 with the Q3 Plus. But I did not really feel it until I was riding a bit stupid for the street, (which I do rarely anymore). If you are on a tight budget, and you can find the regular Q3 for a few bucks less it is all you will ever need. But if you are using the Q's for a track day, or you are a felonious street rider spend the few extra bucks for the Q3 Plus and you will be impressed.

As for their claim that these will wear longer than the Q3, I can't yet tell. I run my tire pressures cold at 33/38 and have never had grip issues with the Qs.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS......Sargent seat, R&G frame sliders / fork protectors / engine case covers, Powerlet, Osram Nightbreakers, Vesrah brake pads, Pazzo levers, Akrapovic full exhaust, Power commander 5, pair valve block off plates, modified air box, reflashed ECU, suspension built by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 Kawasaki ZX6R.....Puig screen, R&G frame sliders and fork protectors, GB Racing engine case covers, Carrozzeria forged wheels.

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review. I have destroyed another read in just under 2000 miles on the Q3, and just ordered a set of the Q3+ this weekend, should be here by Wednesday. I have read good things about them being improved, and I hope I get a bit more life out of the rear. It was $13 difference for the set, so I figured I would try the Plus over the standard and see what it does.

Next I need to figure out how to become a distributor for tires so LSB can get tires for a decent rate...
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Railing View Post
    Thanks for the review. I have destroyed another read in just under 2000 miles on the Q3, and just ordered a set of the Q3+ this weekend, should be here by Wednesday. I have read good things about them being improved, and I hope I get a bit more life out of the rear. It was $13 difference for the set, so I figured I would try the Plus over the standard and see what it does.

Next I need to figure out how to become a distributor for tires so LSB can get tires for a decent rate...
    Well......for only 13 bucks it's a no brainer. The guy I buy tires from is a personal friend with a dealers license and the difference was 30 bucks through him for the Q3 plus. But I got a 185/55 set mounted and balanced for 295 bucks. Not bad.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS......Sargent seat, R&G frame sliders / fork protectors / engine case covers, Powerlet, Osram Nightbreakers, Vesrah brake pads, Pazzo levers, Akrapovic full exhaust, Power commander 5, pair valve block off plates, modified air box, reflashed ECU, suspension built by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 Kawasaki ZX6R.....Puig screen, R&G frame sliders and fork protectors, GB Racing engine case covers, Carrozzeria forged wheels.

Bike
    2007 RSV1000R
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Railing View Post

I'm betting that between competitive mark ups, and tiered wholesale pricing, the cost savings for becoming a distributor wouldn't be much

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ran a set of these in at NCM im honesty amazed how much better they feel than the old q3s. They had so much more grip I'm not understanding how they are going to do more miles but we will see.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2014 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Sold-2011 CB1000r, 2007 Husky SM610s, 2008 CBR 1000rr, 2006 CBR1000rr
    2008 CBR600RR, 2001 CBR 600F4i

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got Q3+ on my cbr1000 recently and like them but can't give the feedback about hard riding as that isn't my thing. Had 2ct before and the turn in now is much slower and less lean is reached based on my tire wear though. Noticeably diff shape.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackalo626 View Post
    I got Q3+ on my cbr1000 recently and like them but can't give the feedback about hard riding as that isn't my thing. Had 2ct before and the turn in now is much slower and less lean is reached based on my tire wear though. Noticeably diff shape.

Alot of peope complained about not being able to get rid of the chicken strip on the q2s and q3s. Its not that your getting less lean its just that there is more tire there.

I ran the s21s and loved them other than after being so used to the Qs i was running out of tire and leaving darkies. Had to swirch back and stick with whay im comfortable on.

Last edited by Ride Red; 09-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    2014 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Sold-2011 CB1000r, 2007 Husky SM610s, 2008 CBR 1000rr, 2006 CBR1000rr
    2008 CBR600RR, 2001 CBR 600F4i

Track Day Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Alot of peope complained about not being able to get rid of the chicken strip on the q2s and q3s. Its not that your getting less lean its just that there is more tire there.

I ran the s21s and loved them other than after being so used to the Qs i was running out of tire and leaving darkies. Had to swirch back and stick with whay im comfortable on.

Yeah I never cared about chicken strips as I ride street and am not a squid trying to impress the parking lot pimps lol. However the street riding I did on the 2ct's for the last several years wore all the way to the edge besides maybe the thickness of 2 credit cards stacked width. I guess you are right about the lean and more tire possibly as I never thought about it too much other than I knew the profile of the 2ct was tall and steep so getting to edge made me think with the less profile and tire left it wasn't leaning as much. I will say only surprise so far at night time about 70deg rolling onto hwy at 264 and preston the tire turned into a rolling burnout as about to merge which was something I had never gotten.....on accident.