Thread: headlight upgrade

Bike
    2003 titanium and black CBR954RR
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

headlight upgrade

im pretty much completely in the dark on the subject... see what i did there? but... a friend is wanting to upgrade his 2007 gsxr 750's headlight situation. he rides after dark a lot n wants brighter.

im aware of hid kits and led's, but that is about where my knowledge on them ends. i have looked around at hid kits in the past. there are just so many options. brands, various stuff n things. whats a trusted source? ive heard some say you should never put a hid kit in a housing meant for halogen bulbs, but ive seen plenty of conversions.

what about led's? same situation. lots of options.

anyone have any experience with them that can help me help him out?
    "love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle." -Hunter S. Thompson

MSF Student
    Bike
    1978 CX500, 2004 R6, 2013 CBR600rr
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 04 R6, just the HID's only are not too bad. You will for sure need a cordless drill, as I have not seen a kit where you won't have to drill into the outer housing for the lights, to mount the power source. Honestly, would say the reward is the amount of time you have to put towards it versus the amount of time you ride at night. The HID is considerably brighter than the standard and had a different frequency of light wave.

All that long winded talk being said, DO NOT ORDER FROM BKMOTO! That guy/company is horrid. You will wait 6 weeks to get something you ordered, and will have to send a ton of emails.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not messed with HID's in a few years. I will say DDMtuning is cheap price but pretty good quality. They may send you a bad bulb or ballast but they make it right through customer service

That being said, a lot of ppl don't do their research on HID's and they think the higher the number the brighter the light, which is not the case. Due to a new KY state law, even out of state drivers must comply that all headlights must be white, therefore you need the 35Watt kit @ 4300k, these burn white like you see most BMW's and other stock HID headlights. The next level up is 6000 which will burn that bright blue that makes people think a cop is behind them when the driver hits a bump. The higher the "k" the darker blue/purple the bulb, and the lower the "k", the more yellow the light. There is also the option to go to the 55w bulb, these burn brighter but also hotter and if the headlight casing is small, it could melt the inner light. If you decide to try these out, go one level lower for the same color as the 35w Example (35w @ 4300k = 55w @3000k) for white lights.

Here is a link to their website, you would need to find out what all parts/relays you would need for your specific bike, I know mine needed a dual relay for the R1. Good luck.

http://ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HI...ast-35W-or-55W
    2009 Yellow/Blue Yamaha R1

People always say to man up and grow some balls, balls are vulnerable.....man up and grow a vagina, those things can take a pounding!!

Back Road Barbarian ThatTallGuy's Avatar
    Bike
    Beemer S1K
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ve...-1-single.html

I've done a couple of proper HID Bi-Xenon project retrofits on my 4-wheeled vehicles, and they are certainly the way to go if you want the best output focused where you need it and not blinding oncoming traffic. That being said, it's also a commitment in time as you have to open up the headlight housing to make it happen, so it's not for everyone. The kit referenced above it actually a pretty dang good deal for everything you need, and The Retrofit Source has great products and even better customer service.

Or you can slap an HID kit in the reflector housing. It's cheap, quick, and gives somewhat better output than the factory halogen. It also creates more glare for oncoming traffic. As Slimer said, anything above 6000K is a complete waste as output goes downhill in a hurry. The people running 12,000K did that to match all of their neon lights and create a cool glow off all of their chrome parts...
    Last edited by ThatTallGuy; 07-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have put HID kits in all my vehicles since 2008 or 2009. Vast improvement. On my 2007 R1, I create shadows of people in their own headlights. When on it, I am usually the one put out in front at night because they are that good... With that said, my truck got LED upgrades instead of HID. And I am really happy with them:

http://www.xenondepot.com/

This is the company I chose, and they have good quality kits. As stated, you will most likely need to drill out a 1/2-3/4" hole in the outer casing for heat sinks or a rubber grommet to fit to allow the new wires to go through the casing. Either light needs a ballast, and make sure to place the ballast where it's easy to change them, because I have had 3 fail on the R1, in the 9 years I have owned it, and 1 relay. With that said though, I have converted to track plastics about 25 times, and that requires moving them around a lot, and they of course are on the entire time.

HID vs LED, I would now go LED, mostly because the HID have to "fire" to turn on. The ballast has to ignite the light, and on the R1, I continued to have issues at times where 1 or both headlights wouldn't come on when I started the bike. Simply turning it off and on, and they would fire. First time it happened was at Deals Gap, at Tellico Plains, and I basically took the front end apart trying to find the issue. After that I simply started the bike and just looked, maybe every 10th time it didn't fire. But that's because the R1 has a delayed headlight start and starts only when the bike it started, so it cuts while hitting the starter, then starts.

Anyway, LED fire right off the bat, they don't have the issue, they just have big heat sinks coming off that you have to figure out where to let them breath.

Luckily the new motorcycle already has LED lights and they are bright, so I haven't had to do anything to it, but the truck now has LED lights in the mains, fog lights, and a 30" bar behind the grill. Just need to replace the brights, which I will be buying at some point soon.
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to led after running hids in stuff for years. I will never go back. If it doesn't have projector lenses I would stay away from hid

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2014 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Sold-2011 CB1000r, 2007 Husky SM610s, 2008 CBR 1000rr, 2006 CBR1000rr
    2008 CBR600RR, 2001 CBR 600F4i