Thread: Gently used front SC2 for sale

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    If u want it right, take it to the Englishman in Corydon.
    Not to take anything away from Keith but someone who is not at the track all the time gathering data can possibly have all of the information for multiple brands of motorcycles and tracks. Setting the bike up for the street is much different from optimizing it for one track. Keith himself will back me up that there are a ton of variables involved and also a lot of rider preference. What works for one rider does not work for another. Example: The Graves R6 bikes in MotoAmerica are setup totally different as Garrett Gerloff and J.D. Beach have totally different riding styles.

Suspension setup is not a static thing on the track, while you can get a baseline that will "generally work" for a lot of tracks, changes are needed each and every weekend depending on the track and conditions. It can be as simple as some preload and a few clicks of comp/rebound or require spring changes to either or both ends of the bike with corresponding changes to comp/rebound and oil level in the forks. Another thing not understood by most people is preload is not a substitute for proper spring rate, preload is primarily to get the bike to turn/respond the way you want it as a fine tuning tool once you have the correct spring rates in place.

Geometry gets changed frequently with different fork height depending on the type of course (flowing, start/stop, quick transitions, and the combination of them) to get the bike to respond it's best in the area of the track with the greatest impact on laptimes. Shock height similarly gets changed to adjust for variances in swingarm angle caused by gearing changes, tire size differences (example, at some tracks a rider may run a 200 tire for more side grip but at ones with a long straight may choose a smaller tire to reduce rotating mass for acceleration, top speed).
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My front and rear at NCM the last few times I have been there. Once the tearing started, I couldn't get the tire to heal itself, and I destroyed a set of Pirelli and Bridgestone slicks, one day on each. If I kept my times around the 2:10 mark, they weren't getting worse, if I was faster, down to 2:03 and change, they were ripping apart.

I talked to Eric at Velocity, and paid him to tweak. He checked all my settings, they were all spot on. I adjusted air pressure, etc. Nothing helped except slowing down. I did talk to Dave608 about this and he was even running a heavier spring to help counteract it some.

I am heavy on the brakes before a corner, I weigh more than the average rider, and I am hard on the throttle on exit. All of that doesn't help. There is was due to the surface of the track, and I think the softer compounds. NTECs were doing better on wear, but none of the vendors had any there. I figured I could at least get two days on a set of tires, I was wrong.

Haven't take the Duc to the track yet, so curious what it will do. Still have to swap from fork springs out, already did the rear. It's next on my list of changes.

You can flip those tires as well, so if you see something like that happening, flip it at lunch, and get some even wear...
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Railing View Post
    My front and rear at NCM the last few times I have been there. Once the tearing started, I couldn't get the tire to heal itself, and I destroyed a set of Pirelli and Bridgestone slicks, one day on each. If I kept my times around the 2:10 mark, they weren't getting worse, if I was faster, down to 2:03 and change, they were ripping apart.

I talked to Eric at Velocity, and paid him to tweak. He checked all my settings, they were all spot on. I adjusted air pressure, etc. Nothing helped except slowing down. I did talk to Dave608 about this and he was even running a heavier spring to help counteract it some.

I am heavy on the brakes before a corner, I weigh more than the average rider, and I am hard on the throttle on exit. All of that doesn't help. There is was due to the surface of the track, and I think the softer compounds. NTECs were doing better on wear, but none of the vendors had any there. I figured I could at least get two days on a set of tires, I was wrong.

Haven't take the Duc to the track yet, so curious what it will do. Still have to swap from fork springs out, already did the rear. It's next on my list of changes.

You can flip those tires as well, so if you see something like that happening, flip it at lunch, and get some even wear...
    I pretty much had the exact opposite experience. NCM was kind to my tires. I ran consistent 2:05's and dipped into the 2:03's and my tires looked great after flogging them all day. The new surface at Putnam is still extremely abrasive and the Pirelli's seem to suffer the most. If your bike isn't dialed in properly the proof will be written all over your tires. I flipped my rear at lunch but didn't bother flipping the front because it still looked pretty good. When it went, it went fast. I also paid Eric to help sort things out but I just didn't have enough tire, energy, or time to find a solution. I've been chatting with him online. We're going to re-attack next month after the baby is born. I need to let my bank account recover anyway!
    Jeff

2008 KTM 990 Super Duke R (street)
    2014 Triumph Daytona 675 (track)

Bike
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *GT* View Post
    I pretty much had the exact opposite experience. NCM was kind to my tires. I ran consistent 2:05's and dipped into the 2:03's and my tires looked great after flogging them all day. The new surface at Putnam is still extremely abrasive and the Pirelli's seem to suffer the most. If your bike isn't dialed in properly the proof will be written all over your tires. I flipped my rear at lunch but didn't bother flipping the front because it still looked pretty good. When it went, it went fast. I also paid Eric to help sort things out but I just didn't have enough tire, energy, or time to find a solution. I've been chatting with him online. We're going to re-attack next month after the baby is born. I need to let my bank account recover anyway!
    600's at NCM weren't having issues, I was on my R1, and just destroying them coming out of the corners.

I can't wait to head to Putnam. Going to bring a spare set of tires, and my No Mar...
    Michael
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *GT* View Post
    NCM was better last year when I was there, it was year 1 it was really bad. I got much better wear last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Railing View Post
    600's at NCM weren't having issues, I was on my R1, and just destroying them coming out of the corners.

I can't wait to head to Putnam. Going to bring a spare set of tires, and my No Mar...
    Putnam wear end of May was pretty much like NCM was year 1, this is the rear tire on the Pani after 6 sessions. I did have stock rear spring on it at that time so that probably contributed but the wear pattern especially the sawtooth look was the same as NCM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putnamtire.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	24900
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave608 View Post
    NCM was better last year when I was there, it was year 1 it was really bad. I got much better wear last year.

Putnam wear end of May was pretty much like NCM was year 1, this is the rear tire on the Pani after 6 sessions. I did have stock rear spring on it at that time so that probably contributed but the wear pattern especially the sawtooth look was the same as NCM.

Just what I want... Putnam to cost $500+ per day...

I have a correct weight spring in the rear of the Pani for mine, and just need to take the time to replace the front springs, which I should get done in the next week or two.

Eager to get back to the track, but not sure it's in the cards this year. Maybe Barber in October.
    Michael
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave608 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putnamtire.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	24900
    For what it's worth I don't think it was your shock. My JRi is fairly dialed in and I had similar tire wear patterns. The Pirelli vendor said the SC1s were wearing much better than the SC2s. Like Railing said, Putnam can quickly turn into a $500 track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff

2008 KTM 990 Super Duke R (street)
    2014 Triumph Daytona 675 (track)