Thread: Slicks and tire warmer recommedations

Bike
    ZX10 / KTM525SX
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slicks and tire warmer recommedations

Since moving to a dedicated track bike, I had planned to run out the tires I have on it, then look into going to slicks and warmers. Looking for suggestions for something reasonably priced in both. Still just planning to run two or three track days a year.

Oh yeah, bike is '03 GSXR600 120-70 17 front 180-55 17 rear (stock)
    Last edited by Oldscool; 06-06-2017 at 10:44 PM.

----"I don't bounce as high as I used to, but I still slide just as far"----

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently made the transition from street bike to dedicated track bike. I'm on a limited budget so I had to do my cost vs quality research when considering tires and warmers. I ended up with MJ Moto warmers because they offer a 2 year hassle free warranty and cost $170 new. I went with Pirelli DOT tires because of a buddy of mine, also on a Daytona 675, swears by them. I think Miguel will steer you towards Dunlop GPA's because he gets good wear out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by *GT*; 06-07-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    Jeff

2008 KTM 990 Super Duke R (street)
    2014 Triumph Daytona 675 (track)

Bike
    CBR 1000RR / VFR
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my dual temp Moto D warmers. They come with a 1 or 2 year unlimited warranty.

CC Powersports Louisville Sponsor
    Bike
    2011 KAW ZX-10R
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from what i've been hearing from Sam(our resident fast guy) the Pirelli slicks are the best for grip. The Dunlop slicks you can get more use.

Bike
    08 GSXR 1000 #47
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion on slicks, take it or leave it, no advice for DOTs. I disagree with the Dunlops, good grip to start, and easy wear management, but after a few heat cycles they fall off and get really scary really quickly in my experience. Pirellis have tons of grip, but are a bit finicky with tearing if not kept at the proper operating temp, and once the tearing starts, seems hard to "heal over" even with correct pressure. I've been on Bridgestones the last couple seasons. Seem a great middle ground slicks. Grip has been great for me, pretty easy wear management, no major tearing, and the tearing that started healed over great with a pressure adjustment to get into proper operating temp range, great fantastic longevity. I personally would stay away from the Dunlops for anything after 2 or 3 heat cycles, even if there appears to be tread depth left. I would be surprised if the Pirellis gave you more than 2 days tread depth, but if so they seem to grip great their whole life. I ran my last set of stones for 2 days of racing at Putnam, then 2 days of coaching and riding most Adv sessions at NCM. They fell off the last day for sure, but very predictably, through the tread indicators on front and rear both sides.

As for warmers, I have MJ Motos. 3 seasons without issue, but front is shorting out this year. Definitely do not get as hot as Chicken Hawks, Moto-D, Woodcrafts though.
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had good luck with the Bridgestone R10 which is a DOT race tire. Check out stickboy racing for good prices on these.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS......Sargent seat, R&G frame sliders / fork protectors / engine case covers, Powerlet, Osram Nightbreakers, Vesrah brake pads, Pazzo levers, Akrapovic full exhaust, Power commander 5, pair valve block off plates, modified air box, reflashed ECU, suspension built by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 Kawasaki ZX6R.....Puig screen, R&G frame sliders and fork protectors, GB Racing engine case covers, Carrozzeria forged wheels.

Bike
    ZX10 / KTM525SX
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1000man View Post
    My opinion on slicks, take it or leave it, no advice for DOTs. I disagree with the Dunlops, good grip to start, and easy wear management, but after a few heat cycles they fall off and get really scary really quickly in my experience. Pirellis have tons of grip, but are a bit finicky with tearing if not kept at the proper operating temp, and once the tearing starts, seems hard to "heal over" even with correct pressure. I've been on Bridgestones the last couple seasons. Seem a great middle ground slicks. Grip has been great for me, pretty easy wear management, no major tearing, and the tearing that started healed over great with a pressure adjustment to get into proper operating temp range, great fantastic longevity. I personally would stay away from the Dunlops for anything after 2 or 3 heat cycles, even if there appears to be tread depth left. I would be surprised if the Pirellis gave you more than 2 days tread depth, but if so they seem to grip great their whole life. I ran my last set of stones for 2 days of racing at Putnam, then 2 days of coaching and riding most Adv sessions at NCM. They fell off the last day for sure, but very predictably, through the tread indicators on front and rear both sides.

As for warmers, I have MJ Motos. 3 seasons without issue, but front is shorting out this year. Definitely do not get as hot as Chicken Hawks, Moto-D, Woodcrafts though.
    Thanks for the input - I was kinda eyeballing the MJ Moto Gear warmers, good to hear positive feedback on them. I was originally looking at the Pirellis, but will definitely look the Bridgestones as they were off my initial radar. Currently looking to go to MTD Putnam in July and garage outlets are right there, but I've been spending most of my time up north at Autobahn and realized that without a garage, I'll also be in the market for a generator - gonna have to work on the wifey...

----"I don't bounce as high as I used to, but I still slide just as far"----

Bike
    08 GSXR 1000 #47
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power can be a pain. But usually there's someone around willing to split a garage with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Bridgestone R10 for a DOT track tire, good round profile, great life, great grip. I have ran Pirellis and Bridgestone slicks as well... really which ever you can get for the better cost, get them, I don't think you would mind either. I like the life a bit more out of the Bridgestone for the track, and agree with what as said above, they seem to come back if any tearing happens.
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Bike
    CBR 1000RR / VFR
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good luck out of my Dunlop slicks but I'm in no way abusing them like Jhance. I got 6 A group days out of mine. I'm going to go back with whatever is cheapest honestly. They're all round and made of rubber and I'm not racing. I'm at least 15 seconds off a race pace as well.