Thread: Slicks and tire warmer recommedations

Bike
    ZX10 / KTM525SX
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanker View Post
    I've had good luck out of my Dunlop slicks but I'm in no way abusing them like Jhance. I got 6 A group days out of mine. I'm going to go back with whatever is cheapest honestly. They're all round and made of rubber and I'm not racing. I'm at least 15 seconds off a race pace as well.
    Yeah, I was a bit of that attitude and I looked at the Shinko's and went - uuuuhmm NO... But I also saw some pretty expensive ones and figured someone has to have some good input here on best middle ground. What really tripped it was I got the bump to A on Memorial Day and after a couple of sessions of just enjoying the open track and trying to sponge info by sticking to the guys going around me a little gremlin whispered in my ear - you're on street tires and everyone else is on slicks... I don't think I'll really enjoy time in that group until I think I'm on the proper skins, hence the push... My other option was to get some of Danhor's take-offs...
    Last edited by Oldscool; 06-09-2017 at 04:02 PM.

----"I don't bounce as high as I used to, but I still slide just as far"----

Bike
    2003 GixaSixa
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this thread.

John, SoYou're looking for recommendations for Slicks and warmers?

I totally recommend Slicks and warmers.

You're welcome.
    Limitations can only be learned by exceeding them.

Bike
    CBR 1000RR / VFR
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, excluding shit tires (shinko) you can't really go wrong. It's pretty safe to say that new sport tires are pretty hard to out ride.

Bike
    ZX10 / KTM525SX
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danhor7 View Post
    Just saw this thread.

John, SoYou're looking for recommendations for Slicks and warmers?

I totally recommend Slicks and warmers.

You're welcome.
    Your input is always appreciated...

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Pirelli slicks myself, they wear well for me especially the SC1 rear (the harder SC2 is actually more temperamental). There are exceptions like right now at Putnam where it is a challenge and NCM the first year after it opened. To be fair I was riding a different bike with a lot more power and the suspension wasn't dialed in for me so I know that played into it at Putnam.

As said previously there really isn't a bad tire out there, most of it comes down to the feedback each brand of tires gives and what you and your bike like the best, and you can't just swap brands around and expect the best results. You have to work with the suspension and tweak it for the characteristics of each tire, depending on pace that can be as simple as a few clicks of comp and/or rebound or as complex as different spring rates or chassis geometry.

Some random general information on brands:
    1) Bridgestone - Can't really say anything here as I have not ridden the latest generation of the slicks

2) Dunlop - Good tire (obviously, all you have to do is look at MotoAmerica riders times) but are sensitive to compound choice, run the soft compound in the wrong conditions and it won't last. Run the medium or medium + and they will generally last awhile. Fronts do require lots of heat to work, you can't go out cruise around and then hammer it and expect it to stick, you let it cool off you better work some heat back into it before you push.

3) Michelin - Newest Evo has only one compound and they work well. Downside is at a race pace they fall off to about 80% grip level of new after a couple of races or a few hard sessions. They don't tend to fall off after that, stay pretty consistent until done for.

4) Pirelli - As stated, my favorite so biased. Front has 2 compounds SC1 and SC2, not a lot of difference in ultimate laptimes, more about rider feel and braking support. SC1 "feels" softer on feedback, SC2 more feedback and better support under hard braking. I run both depending on the track. Rear has 4 compounds, SC0 through SC4. I normally only run 0's and 1's. 1's for trackdays and practice, 0's for sprint races only. At a track like Barber I can get 2 days out of an SC1 pushing fairly hard.

On warmers, lots of usable ones out there. I currently use Cap-It single temps as they heat up fast, are consistent and draw far less power than most (650 watts for the set). It's extremely rare for me to use a warm setting and when I had dual temps I can't tell you the number of times one got accidently switched to warm when putting them back on and I wouldn't realize until time to go out again. I do have an older set of Woodcrafts I keep as a backup set or if I ever do need a warm setting.
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    CBR 1000RR / VFR
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest to the medium front needing to be kept hot. We were kept in hot pit long enough for it to cool down and it resulted in my first experience pushing the front.

The other experience pushing the front I got to see my bike do a barrel roll.

Bike
    ZX10 / KTM525SX
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave608 View Post
    I like the Pirelli slicks myself, they wear well for me especially the SC1 rear (the harder SC2 is actually more temperamental). There are exceptions like right now at Putnam where it is a challenge and NCM the first year after it opened. To be fair I was riding a different bike with a lot more power and the suspension wasn't dialed in for me so I know that played into it at Putnam.

As said previously there really isn't a bad tire out there, most of it comes down to the feedback each brand of tires gives and what you and your bike like the best, and you can't just swap brands around and expect the best results. You have to work with the suspension and tweak it for the characteristics of each tire, depending on pace that can be as simple as a few clicks of comp and/or rebound or as complex as different spring rates or chassis geometry.

Some random general information on brands:
    1) Bridgestone - Can't really say anything here as I have not ridden the latest generation of the slicks

2) Dunlop - Good tire (obviously, all you have to do is look at MotoAmerica riders times) but are sensitive to compound choice, run the soft compound in the wrong conditions and it won't last. Run the medium or medium + and they will generally last awhile. Fronts do require lots of heat to work, you can't go out cruise around and then hammer it and expect it to stick, you let it cool off you better work some heat back into it before you push.

3) Michelin - Newest Evo has only one compound and they work well. Downside is at a race pace they fall off to about 80% grip level of new after a couple of races or a few hard sessions. They don't tend to fall off after that, stay pretty consistent until done for.

4) Pirelli - As stated, my favorite so biased. Front has 2 compounds SC1 and SC2, not a lot of difference in ultimate laptimes, more about rider feel and braking support. SC1 "feels" softer on feedback, SC2 more feedback and better support under hard braking. I run both depending on the track. Rear has 4 compounds, SC0 through SC4. I normally only run 0's and 1's. 1's for trackdays and practice, 0's for sprint races only. At a track like Barber I can get 2 days out of an SC1 pushing fairly hard.

On warmers, lots of usable ones out there. I currently use Cap-It single temps as they heat up fast, are consistent and draw far less power than most (650 watts for the set). It's extremely rare for me to use a warm setting and when I had dual temps I can't tell you the number of times one got accidently switched to warm when putting them back on and I wouldn't realize until time to go out again. I do have an older set of Woodcrafts I keep as a backup set or if I ever do need a warm setting.
    Thanks Dave - good information...