Thread: Check your nuts!

Bike
    Beta Xtrainer, KTM 990SMT
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your nuts!

And bolts. And screws. And dzus fasteners. And safety wire.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/thi...at-high-speed/
    F I D O!

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, even though there is tech inspection, no way everything can be checked in that short of a time so we concentrate on the most critical items. I've found missing brake lever locknuts, loose caliper mounting bolts, leaking fork seals, etc. I know at Putnam on the 28th a rear axle nut was found that was only finger tight!!!

Given the above example of a lower coming off, even at a WERA race that wouldn't be caught as you have to remove lowers for tech inspection so they can see safety wire easier.

To reiterate, ultimately it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your bike is mechanically sound, not the organization you are riding with. If you are not mechanically capable of checking everything yourself, find a trustworthy mechanic to check things over for you.
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike
    WERA #608, AMA #608, STT Southern Region Staff

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HOLY..............

FUCK!!
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R1
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that on facebook earlier today, that's crazy. But I would imagine the fact that he was knocked out when he went down helped lessen the injuries. Kind of how a drunk doesn't get hurt when they crash a car because they are completely relaxed and tense bones tend to break easier.
    2009 Yellow/Blue Yamaha R1

People always say to man up and grow some balls, balls are vulnerable.....man up and grow a vagina, those things can take a pounding!!

Bike
    08 GSXR 1000 #47
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working on bikes throughout the day is an inevitability. No way you could have tech inspection every session a person goes on track. It's definitely your own responsibility. I had a rider I was coaching in novice lose part of his lower right in front of my two weeks ago. It wasn't a failure to connect it properly. It was an older bike, with old brittle actual plastic street fairings. Luckily for me it split in two pieces and I went right between the two and about head level. If I'm pitted with someone, if possible, I'll take a quick look over their bike, and have them do the same to mine, if we've been working on them. I caught a friend who had lost a caliper bolt on each side up front with the other bolts backed out. He was one more session from a horrific bad day. He has since began using safety wire! This sport has its risks. We just have to do what we can to lessen them for ourselves and everyone else.
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle!

CC Powersports Louisville Sponsor
    Bike
    2011 KAW ZX-10R
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowasockee View Post
    HOLY..............

FUCK!!

- - - Updated - - -

i lost an action camera at putnam. The glue separated from the mount and the mount was still on the bike. I felt terrible because it was a potentially dangerous situation. I never put a camera on my bike again.

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedragginleprechaun View Post

- - - Updated - - -

i lost an action camera at putnam. The glue separated from the mount and the mount was still on the bike. I felt terrible because it was a potentially dangerous situation. I never put a camera on my bike again.
    Very common failure. That's why most orgs now require them to be tethered in case of mount failure.
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I lost a rearset at Putnam once. Failure to tighten mounting bolts. I learned the hard way. Always tighten bolts as you are installing them. Never ever say to yourself..."I'll tighten this after I eat this sammwich". You'll forget.
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"

Bike
    13 GSX-R750
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowasockee View Post
    I lost a rearset at Putnam once. Failure to tighten mounting bolts. I learned the hard way. Always tighten bolts as you are installing them. Never ever say to yourself..."I'll tighten this after I eat this sammwich". You'll forget.
    But was it a good sandwich? Dammit man, details!!!!
    Dave
    2013 GSX-R750 Racebike

Bike
    2003 titanium and black CBR954RR
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow
    "love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle." -Hunter S. Thompson