Thread: Winterizing engines

Bike
    GSXR750 and others
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing engines

This is what I do to my engines when winter hits. Mower, genny, weed eater, power washer, motorcycles, boat engines, any engine that will not be used for 4mo+. Do you do anything different? do you recommend changing any of this?

1) Replace fuel
    - Get fresh fuel, add stabilizer at storage dose
    - Pump out old fuel, replace with new fuel + stabilizer, fill less than 1/4th (?)
    - Run engine until reach operating temp and stop
    Q: on carburated engines, I run until all fuel is consumed and store with dry carbs and dry tank. Is this better than leaving stabilized fuel?

2) Change oil + filter

3) Change/clean(K&N) air filter

4) Fog engine
    - Disconnect spark plug/disable ignition
    - Squirt Sea Foam in airbox while cranking
    - Reconnect spark plug/ignition

5) Store

I read some people mix fuel and 2T oil and run their injected engines until they smoke/sputters. Is this really worth it?
    - Mario

Bike
    2012 Triumph Street Triple R
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used a full tank during storage to reduce condensation and thus water in the tank. Even more important if your garage is like mine - it's not heated per se but stays a lot warmer than outside since its in the basement. Going in and out during the winter or leaving the garage doors open for extra light while working will cause condensation from the rapid temp changes.

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step 1, winterize the mower, weed eater, and other yard tools.

Step 2, man up and ride the motorcycles all winter, problem solved.
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Bike
    2015 Yamaha R1 2012 KTM 250SX
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Store with full tanks with a little fuel stabilizer. I wait to change oil in the spring. I like to keep the tires off the ground and inflate them to 40-50psi.

Our winters are pretty mild and my bikes don't usually set for more then a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Pastrana
    The greatest thrill in life comes in the brief moment of uncertainty between preparation and execution.

Bike
    GSXR750 and others
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to ride the triple and WR all winter long, but track is going to sleep till next track day. I might put the WR to sleep too, offroading sucks in winter.

What about storing dry? do you see any problems with having dry carbs and tanks?

I understand the condensation problem with half tanks, but what if I suck and discard the gas before riding in early spring?
    - Mario

Bike
    2012 Triumph Street Triple R
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past on my carbed bikes I would fill the tank, shut off the petcock a few blocks from home and run until she dies from lack of fuel. Then I'd drop the float bowls and toss the gas remaining in the carbs. Come spring, I'd just turn on the petcock and ride. Never had the need to throw away the old gas as it stayed fresh enough with a bit of stabilizer.

Bike
    Triumph Bon, 2012Yam R1LE ,GSXR 750, 2014 BMW HP4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter in Kentucky ,it's a luxury, temperatures in the 30's ,wow you guy's need to spend a winter in the north of England and ride all year round isn't that right @The Englishman ; .winters in Europe where the Sea freezes .
    Jewish ,French , German , English , American , redneck .

Corinthians 13 -11

" When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things" .

Bike
    Road: 2006 Yamaha FZ1 - Track: 04 Suzuki GSXR 750
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus View Post
    Winter in Kentucky ,it's a luxury, temperatures in the 30's ,wow you guy's need to spend a winter in the north of England and ride all year round isn't that right @The Englishman ; .winters in Europe where the Sea freezes .
    Yeah, they are bitter over there, I guess there's always a wind which cuts straight through you.. fuck, makes me shiver thinking about it
    Playing safe, is still playing!

Bike
    Suzuki SV1000S, GS1100G
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing engines

metal tanks: full of fuel - empty carbs
    drain oil - there are acids in the used oil from the combustion process that can pit internal bearings and parts.
    tender the battery
    check antifreeze level for temperature protection
    wash the bike. dirt will cause rust also

this is a tank i just re-coated because i could not keep the rust out of the carbs

after re-coat.

Bike
    ZX10 / KTM525SX
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Englishman View Post
    Yeah, they are bitter over there, I guess there's always a wind which cuts straight through you.. fuck, makes me shiver thinking about it
    Welcome to the Land of Suck, our endless horizon tends to provide 20 mph average wind speed for the next 6 months. The brutal reminder for the past 3 days of no sun, 45ish temp and unrelenting wind has already turned me into an indoor hermit. (Need to start working on shortening the outside to-do list).

I have to confess that I have been pretty bad at doing anything lately, except for buying new batteries... My garage (cold side) rarely now gets below freezing. I have engine ice in the CBR so I don't have to worry about it freezing up. Working at the Honda shop years ago, the common problem with bikes that didn't start (with good battery) was crap gas in the float bowls - we would drain it and turn the petcock back on and see how they run.

I bought many non-running or badly running bikes that had "carb issues" that generally were from that crap gas turning into crap varnish and changing your jet sizes... If I was to store one outside, I would top off the tank, drain the carbs (usually are accessible drain screws) yank the battery and wrap a tarp around it (mice would be my only real fear then). Keep the battery indoors and keep a charge on it and you should be able to go out install the battery, prime the cars and go. Then change the oil after the first ride...

----"I don't bounce as high as I used to, but I still slide just as far"----