Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Winterizing engines

  1. #21
    AMA Superbike Champ Cano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    540
    Location
    Goshen KY
    Bike
    2012 Triumph Street Triple R
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    8
    FWIW, I've used the POR-15 kit on both a car tank and bike tank with great results. The kit comes with a cleaner to remove gum and varnish, metal ready to neutralize any rust and prep the tank for the sealant, then the sealant.

  2. #22
    ........CEO........ .Cheetah.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    37,350
    Location
    Westport Rd / Goosecreek
    Bike
    2007 Honda 600RR, Gone.R1.GSXR.CB1
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    50
    I've never winterized my bike. Full tank and tender. Plus we'll get those few 60deg days in Dec every year. She's been treating me good for a long time.

    2007 Honda 600RR / Will / CEO

  3. #23
    Deals Gap Junkie booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,791
    Location
    Sellersburg,IN.
    Bike
    2009 FZ1, Yamaha R6
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    22
    Bump for the season.
    Photobucket

    Cant get enough of those crooked roads.

    _______
    DOUG

  4. #24
    Track Day Star Oneg808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    381
    Location
    Louisville
    Bike
    2006 FZ1, 2012 YAMAHA R1, 2016 YAMAHA R1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    6
    Yeah no shit... Winterize a motorcycle????? who does that, I ride!


    Quote Originally Posted by Railing View Post
    Step 1, winterize the mower, weed eater, and other yard tools.

    Step 2, man up and ride the motorcycles all winter, problem solved.

  5. #25
    AMA Superbike Champ B-Rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    532
    Location
    Crestwood
    Bike
    2006 Yamaha R1 50th anniversary
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneg808 View Post
    Yeah no shit... Winterize a motorcycle????? who does that, I ride!
    Probably the most underrated thing to do is check the tire pressure & ride when u can.
    Last edited by B-Rad; 11-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.

  6. #26
    MotoGP Legend Slimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,027
    Location
    Coxs Creek/Bardstown
    Bike
    2009 Yamaha R1
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    26
    Winterized

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6658.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	24944
    2009 Yellow/Blue Yamaha R1

    People always say to man up and grow some balls, balls are vulnerable.....man up and grow a vagina, those things can take a pounding!!

  7. #27
    World SBK Champ Johnmark101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,068
    Location
    Georgetown
    Bike
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    14
    Wish I was one of those who could tolerate the cold enough to ride all year long. Not happening for me.





    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS......Sargent seat, R&G frame sliders / fork protectors / engine case covers, Powerlet, Osram Nightbreakers, Vesrah brake pads, Pazzo levers, Akrapovic full exhaust, Power commander 5, pair valve block off plates, modified air box, reflashed ECU, suspension built by Traxxion Dynamics.

    2015 Kawasaki ZX6R.....Puig screen, R&G frame sliders and fork protectors, GB Racing engine case covers, Carrozzeria forged wheels.

  8. #28
    Track Day Star Plotts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Location
    Crestwood, KY
    Bike
    2013 ktm duke 690
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    6
    I've always just filled tank with 93 octane and some fuel stabilizer and put on a battery tender. Same for the lawnmower. I try to start them up maybe once a month and let come up to temp, then shut them off. Never had an issue with fuel injection or carbs doing this. I also don't have anything too old. I'd probably be more cautious with a vintage bike.

  9. #29
    AMA Superbike Champ Cano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    540
    Location
    Goshen KY
    Bike
    2012 Triumph Street Triple R
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Plotts View Post
    I've always just filled tank with 93 octane and some fuel stabilizer and put on a battery tender. Same for the lawnmower. I try to start them up maybe once a month and let come up to temp, then shut them off. Never had an issue with fuel injection or carbs doing this. I also don't have anything too old. I'd probably be more cautious with a vintage bike.
    If you start it occasionally make sure the oil is warming up fully (not just the coolant per the temp gauge) or you are doing more harm than good. The oil needs to warm up fully to operating temp (done best by actual riding) or it will not burn off the condensation that naturally forms. Even worse, a partial warm up and cool down will actually add more condensation to the oil. It is better to not start at all than to start and allow to run for just a short period. I had a friend who used to start his classic car every weekend and allowed it to run just until the thermostat opened up. He didn't believe my warnings until he changed his oil in the spring and it was a tan color with bubbles. Not good.

  10. #30
    Old, grumpy mod cowasockee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    15,522
    Location
    Sellersburg
    Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Cano View Post
    If you start it occasionally make sure the oil is warming up fully (not just the coolant per the temp gauge) or you are doing more harm than good. The oil needs to warm up fully to operating temp (done best by actual riding) or it will not burn off the condensation that naturally forms. Even worse, a partial warm up and cool down will actually add more condensation to the oil. It is better to not start at all than to start and allow to run for just a short period. I had a friend who used to start his classic car every weekend and allowed it to run just until the thermostat opened up. He didn't believe my warnings until he changed his oil in the spring and it was a tan color with bubbles. Not good.
    THIS!!!!
    Sam

    2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

    Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

    "doctors say gear saved his life"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •