Thread: Doing circles in parking lots

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doing circles in parking lots

OK so I posted a thread up in a couple other forums to see what kind of response I could get. I asked how effective it would be to try to learn throttle control and learn to obtain max lean angle by doing 20 foot circles in a parking lot. I asked about overcoming the barriers we develop in our everday riding.

It was interesting that on some of the go-fast sites (STT forum being the worst) that it was basically insane. One experienced instructor even said that by doing circles in a parking lot one would only learn to do circles in a parking lot and get dizzy.

My thinking is that track time is valuable and expensive and as such I would try to use the parking lot time as a way of breaking through the lean angle barrier many of us have. I noticed on the last couple group rides that many people just simply aren't comfortable leaning their bikes ALL the way over. I also understand that this is not something you want to do all the time on the street. On occasion though, I firmly believe, it is an excellent thing to do to keep that lean angle barrier from being firmly rooted.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I would really like to set up a several parking lot scenarios. I have some I can steal from the Total Control class that work well.
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"

Once hung out with Munky The Midget's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been going to Papa Johns Stadium and practicing my turning now for a few weeks. The problem I run into is its private property and soon get ran off of the police. Also doing it alone I dont get any feed back so I think this is a great suggestion. Location will be the biggest challenge.

I'm not slow just conservative.

Bike
    SV650
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam, as a total control grad, i'd say this is a thumbs up move.

Live Dumb, Ride 'Tard.

06 SV650

dougdurhamphoto.com
    Bike
    1998 Honda VFR800
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam-

Although we've never met, I think any exercise to break the 'lean barrier' is a good one. I would insist on figure 8's to undo the dizziness I'd even offer to help if you needed it.
    Doug

1998 Honda VFR 800

Bike
    2008 Yamaha R1.. I call her Carbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mftd1975 View Post
    I have been going to Papa Johns Stadium and practicing my turning now for a few weeks. The problem I run into is its private property and soon get ran off of the police. Also doing it alone I dont get any feed back so I think this is a great suggestion. Location will be the biggest challenge.
    Yeah university police pulled up after 10mims and told me to take 'my toy' home or goto jail. I kinda chuckled and left.
    Ryan
    2013 Bikeless
    2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 Raven (Totaled by the Dragon 5-17-09)
    2008 Yamaha YZF-R1 Raven (Currently Carbon)

Quote Originally Posted by JBalls View Post
    Looks gay to me. I know, I'm an expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowasockee View Post
    I eat semen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    nothing hotter than a man in leather pants

THE NINJA MOD
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've practiced with Viffer a couple of times at the Floyd Central High School parking lot. She's awesome. I need as much practice as possible and I'm glad she invites me to watch her kick my butt on the figure eight's.
    RC

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowasockee View Post
    OK so I posted a thread up in a couple other forums to see what kind of response I could get. I asked how effective it would be to try to learn throttle control and learn to obtain max lean angle by doing 20 foot circles in a parking lot. I asked about overcoming the barriers we develop in our everday riding.

It was interesting that on some of the go-fast sites (STT forum being the worst) that it was basically insane. One experienced instructor even said that by doing circles in a parking lot one would only learn to do circles in a parking lot and get dizzy.

My thinking is that track time is valuable and expensive and as such I would try to use the parking lot time as a way of breaking through the lean angle barrier many of us have. I noticed on the last couple group rides that many people just simply aren't comfortable leaning their bikes ALL the way over. I also understand that this is not something you want to do all the time on the street. On occasion though, I firmly believe, it is an excellent thing to do to keep that lean angle barrier from being firmly rooted.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I would really like to set up a several parking lot scenarios. I have some I can steal from the Total Control class that work well.
    In taking the Total Control class, I think it's a great idea and I think you can learn a lot and push yourself beyond what you think you can in a parking lot. I think the drills they work on in the TC class are great, especially for people with a little experience, or those wanting to work on the foundation skills, but I found them personally to be a little "dumbed down" in terms of what I was looking for, and taking that to the track. I think demonstrating the drills and working in parking lots teamed up with the video and pictures could be very beneficial to a LOT of people here.
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Bike
    '10 Daytona 675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to do circles in a parking lot to learn to lean the bike over more, I succeeded in learning to do circles in a parking lot and got real dizzy.

It provided me absolutely no real value.
    10 Triumph 675 SE
    07 Honda 600rr-Sold

Bike
    1988 GSX600F
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are the odds of using one of the "Stunter lots"?

PS I would be down for this too.

Bike
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash View Post
    I tried to do circles in a parking lot to learn to lean the bike over more, I succeeded in learning to do circles in a parking lot and got real dizzy.

It provided me absolutely no real value.
    If you had done this early in your riding "career" would it have helped to have had an experienced rider to coach and train with you and maybe some a camera for some video? Also when I say circles I don't literally mean circles. Figure 8's are the way to go. There are variants on that too.
    Sam

2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
    2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    2015 KTM Duke 390

Happily free of the burden of any discernable talent since 1965

"doctors say gear saved his life"