Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycle Laws - Indiana and Kentucky

Bike
    '15 Ducati 1299 S/'07 Yamaha R1/'14 Honda Grom
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky for me my stepfather is a car dealer (although he doesn't have a lot). So he did my title transfer and inspection on the bike, which means when I went to the DMV, they processed everything right away and without any questions.

It can be a pain, but that site does mention working turn signals, and it's a summation of the acutal written law. Some of the laws are written vauge, which means it's up to the officer to decide what it really means, but most are written direct and to the point.

Glad you got the title done and completed. I am pretty sure taxes all come up when you license the bike. But Kentucky and Indiana title laws are a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    ... and that site on KY doesn't seem to be completely correct from my experience! My bike had the right turn signal ripped off when I got it and while everything else was there, the sheriff would not let it pass inspection, therefore, couldn't get a KY plate!! Grr! So here it was cold December, in the back on this dude's pick up, I have NO idea how to ride, can't get it transferred into MY name, so we just notarize the title signed over to me. I just had to take the bike home and let it sit in the garage for a couple of months, learn on the net how to ride it... rode it in a parking lot across from my house to completely learn, drove it to my mechanic up the road to fix the wiring and turn signal, and scared to death -- drove it down Dixie Hwy to the county clerk-sheriff to finally, after many months, get the title in my name!

A friend of mine once sold a bike.. notarized the title at a bank and yet after 4 months he found out it was still in his name and he had to pay taxes on it -- yet again. What is it, if it's in your name the 1st of January ya got to. So anyway, he applied for a duplicate title and promptly junked it! I never heard what happened with the whole situation, when or even if that guy who bought it tried to transfer it over at some point, but I didn't want to be in that legal situation
    Michael
    2015 Ducati 1299 Panigale S (Street/Track)
    2007 Yamaha R1 (Street/Track)
    2014 Honda Grom (Pits/Street)
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR750 (Track)
    2000 Suzuki SV650 (Street/Track)

Bike
    2015 Yamaha R1 2012 KTM 250SX
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's good to know what rules your breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Pastrana
    The greatest thrill in life comes in the brief moment of uncertainty between preparation and execution.

Vice General for the Democratic People of Korea keg's Avatar
    Bike
    25cc russian communist moped
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought i was gonna fail my inspection test cuz i have no light for the license plate. But, the sheriff passed mee.... yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Just tried licking my balls but I kept falling off the couch.

Bike
    600RR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    A friend of mine once sold a bike.. notarized the title at a bank and yet after 4 months he found out it was still in his name and he had to pay taxes on it -- yet again. What is it, if it's in your name the 1st of January ya got to. So anyway, he applied for a duplicate title and promptly junked it! I never heard what happened with the whole situation, when or even if that guy who bought it tried to transfer it over at some point, but I didn't want to be in that legal situation
    Just as an FYI, In the event that happens (which It did to me before). If you can't get a hold of the buyer. You just have to sign some papers and take them to the tax people (can't remember the technical name) on the 4th floor of the downtown branch county clerk. Ding fries are done.
    Jonathan

03 600RR Sold

Bike
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When doing my tail chop on the bike, I looked up the rules about that, and there isn't anything specific about lights on the plate, just that it needs to be clearly visible in both day and night situations. I went ahead and bought a very small white LED light bar for mine, and I like the looks of the bright white light on the back of the bike...

But from what I have read for both Indiana and Kentucky, a light isn't required. Other states it is, which is why I made it very visible by having the plate on the back and the light.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonskeg View Post
    I thought i was gonna fail my inspection test cuz i have no light for the license plate. But, the sheriff passed mee.... yay!
    Michael
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)

Bike
    Gixxer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soo we don't have to have turn signals in KY?
    -Jerry
    *2001 Yellow/Black CBR 929RR*
    *2004 Jeep Wrangler*

Bike
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess not... But one of the moving violations that can cause a ticket/pullover is not signalling your intentions, so I assume as long as you make hand signals if you turn, then they can't pull you over. But then again, if the normal kentucky law states that a motorized vehicle requires signals, then it still applies to bikes, but there might not be a specific bike requirement for signals like some other states do (like Indiana has a specific signal requirement for motorcycles).

I am not an attorney, and am only giving my opinion on the matter...

Quote Originally Posted by 93civic_sedan View Post
    Soo we don't have to have turn signals in KY?
    Michael
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Street)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think many states require turn signals on bikes. that's why in most operator booklets from the dmvs, they have a section on hand signals. i did find out that DOT requires motorcycle turn signals have to be either 18 or 24 inches apart. i can't remember which.
    Eric; 2008 CBR1000RR, candy red / silver, flapper mod, homemade undertail, -1 Driven front sprocket, Arrow carbon slip-on, 6000K HID kit

Bike
    2005 GSXR 600 Back in Black, Yoshi Exhaust, lots of Bling!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI the Police are now ticketing you if your license plate is not visable.. just from word around town...

Bike
    2007 Honda 600RR, Gone.R1.GSXR.CB1
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I have always understood, is you do have to have turn signals and a light, but the cops around hear are not enforcing it. If you go to have it inspected, the sheriff will make you turn them on. If you dont have them you wont be passed. They "usually" wont pull you over for it, but if your pulled over for something else and the cop is a dick, they could throw another violation on top.....
    Its a lot like having the led lights on you bike. Blue and Red are illegal, but I have never seen any cop ever say a word about it.....

2007 Honda 600RR / Will / CEO